Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lazy Sunday

I wanted to apologize for not posting yesterday.  I believe it is the first time since starting my 50 day project of daily posts that I have neglected to post anything at all.  I did start a draft of a post but failed to complete it and almost failed to complete one today.  I'm very sorry about that.

Today I will briefly talk about something I was excited about, focusing my energy on and failed to come through.  A few days ago I decided to do a stand up comedy open mic.  It's something I've been thinking about for a while and after the disappointment of not getting the job I anticipated early last week I figured I had nothing to lose.  But I didn't dedicate enough time to writing material and tonight I chickened out before even leaving for the club.

So I'm a little disappointed in myself for that and I want to find a positive spin since this is Easter and there is much to be happy about stilL! I think where I find solace tonight was in today's Gospel reading.  The apostles are kind of just not getting what Jesus is talking about (see my last post) and they are talking in a way that is focusing back on them, "How are we supposed to know the way?" "Show us the Father".  It's all about them, and their experiences.  In this case, it is their lack of understanding which is really caused by their lack of Faith.  And that's what I'm experiencing too I guess.

Jesus is the answer to both Thomas and Philip's question as He is to mine.  When I'm disappointed in myself for forgetting to blog or chickening out of standup because I'm too scared or not writing, beating myself up isn't going to help.  Any time we reflect the issue back to ourselves it can indulge our pride and leave us alone, unproductive, thinking only of our inferiority.  And our sucking shouldn't come as a surprise.  We aren't perfect; we're only human.  We'll fail, miss opportunities, hurt those we love.  We err.  But Jesus transforms that err into "Are" because He is one with the Father "I AM".

One line of the Gospel particularly stuck out to me:
Amen, amen, I say to you,whoever believes in me will do the works that I do,and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father.” John 14:12
Though I failed in the works I wanted to do today, in Christ I can do great works for God.  Not that my trying to do some comedy will be of any impact on the world but, through Jesus, it may be a part of spreading the Gospel.  The works that Jesus says will be greater than those He showed the apostles I believe are the collective works of the members of the body of Christ, all of us.  While God may have performed many extraordinary miracles through Peter and Paul and many apostles and saints, the daily work of all of God's people is truly a testimony to His love for us.

I believe in God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  I have faith in God and trust that He will provide for me.  And I also believe that He has imbued me, as He has every person, with a certain talents, dispositions, and creative energies.  I pray now that though I failed today, in His grace tomorrow I may make that talent profitable for God.

God love you!

~One Catholic Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment