Friday, May 16, 2014

Do you not understand?

I've found that as the fifty days of Easter continue, I'm finding it harder to post.  Not because the joy of the season is over, or that there isn't any more Gospel to proclaim, but rather I find myself insufficent for the task.  I apologize for the past two weeks of posts which have become less deep, a lot less funny, and not rooted in scripture.  When you go to read a catholic blog, you deserve to see some catholic stuff on it and I feel I haven't done that properly lately.  

So today, instead of another self inspired post, I'm starting with a quote.  It's a long quote.  In fact it is the entire Gospel reading for today, John 14:1-6:

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. 
You have faith in God; have faith also in me. 
In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.
If there were not,
would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come back again and take you to myself,
so that where I am you also may be.
Where I am going you know the way.” 
Thomas said to him, 
“Master, we do not know where you are going;
how can we know the way?” 
Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life. 
No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Jesus' message to us today is what He always tells us in the Gospel, "Be not afraid!"  But this is a deeper level than fear, He's talking to us like a father addresses his children.  Don't be troubled in your hearts, don't you know I will care for you?  Don't you see that the Father and I are one? 

Jesus is one God with the Father and the Holy Spirit.  He has promised the disciples He has prepared a place for them. It's really important to note that this Gospel begins directly after Jesus has told Peter that he will deny Jesus three times before the cock crows.  And, also importantly, going back one line more the reason Jesus says Peter will deny Him is in response to Peter saying, "Why cannot I follow thee now?  I will lay down my life for thee." (Jn13:37-38)

By the time we get to the beginniing of this fourteenth chapter of John, Jesus and Peter have already discussed where Jesus is going several times.  And now Jesus tells the disciples He is going ahead to prepare a place for them and "where I am going you know the way".  This causes Thomas to say in either complete confusion or maybe even frustration that how are they to know the way? 

It is at that moment that Jesus tells that "I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me."  Where Jesus is going is to the Father.  He is about to die, descend into hell and raise from the dead to ascend to the Father in Heaven.  He is the way to the Father, the truth, the Gospel message incarnate, and the life, the Resurrection.  

And this Gospel shows us how the apostles do not understand.  In fact, just a few lines later, Philip asks Jesus to show him the Father.  Jesus, about to go to His death, is maybe upset that they still don't get it.  They know the Father in knowing Jesus.  But, He knows the solution.  Jesus says He will ask the Father to send down the Holy Spirit to remain with them.  It is then that they may understand, when the Spirit of God dwells within them.  

I too feel like the apostles.  I do not understand.  My mind and heart are not united to Christ in the way I wish they were and I am far from the man I wish I would be.  But God has confirmed His people in the Holy Spirit and we are to know the Father in Christ.  What is lacking in us is completed and perfected in Jesus.  May this night we come to God, quietely listening to hear His voice and love more as He loves.  Pentacost is almost here, the Spirit stirs about the Church, ready to recreate us and make us more unified to God.  Let us love Him greater tonight. 

God love you!

~OCG

No comments:

Post a Comment