Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Eucharist: Food for thought

I don't have too much time to write a post today but my fiancee sent me a text this morning based on the morning prayer in the Magnificat that I thought was a beautiful reflection.

I think the Psalm was Ps 63 where it says, "My soul shall be filled as with a banquet".  This has a lot of relevance to her and I as we've been searching through countless banquet halls for our wedding reception.  Most of these halls are empty, drab ugly carpet with overwrought and oddly ornamented chandeliers.

But God, in the Eucharist, fills us as with a banquet with just the plainest of food: bread.  That is because that bread is actually the person of Jesus within the humble appearance of the host.  God takes the simplest and purest form without any adornments as to not distract us from the true food that is the Word of God inside the "bread".  How sweet is that!

A whole banquet, the celebratory wedding feast of the Lamb, the entirety of the Universe all contained in this one small morsel.  That's food for thought.

I am extremely grateful for God's love and His self-giving in the Eucharist today. That is my joyful thought for this day, that God loves us and is present in the Eucharist.  This satisfies our souls and makes us full in spirit and teaches us humilty and love.

Thank you Lord for instituting the Eucharist so that we may know you and may learn from this most mysterious and beautiful sacrament!

God bless!
~onecatholicguy

No comments:

Post a Comment